Friday evening two teens, one 14 year old and one 15 year old, were hit by a car in Fort Lauderdale, Florida while riding motorcycles. Although unconfirmed, it is alleged that the motorcyclists on what is commonly referred to as a “pocket bike,” tried to pass a van and collided with an oncoming vehicle driven by a woman. The accident occurred in Broward, Florida. The teens were allegedly not wearing helmets at the time of the accident.
By far, helmets remain the most effective way to prevent motorcycle accident related fatalities. In 2008, 43% of fatally injured motorcyclists were not wearing helmets. The U.S. Department of Transportation discusses a brief statistical summary of motorcycle accidents.
Florida’s growing population and growing number of motorcyclists only increase the probability of motorcycle accidents, car accidents, and car vs. motorcycle crashes. Interestingly enough riders aged 45-54 were the age group who experienced the largest number of motorcycle related deaths in Florida. Most motorcycle accidents in Florida occur in Miami-Dade, Volusia, Hillsborough, Palm Beach, Broward, Duval, Orange, Pasco, and Brevard counties.
If you are involved in a motorcycle accident it is important that you remember the following things:
1. remain at the scene of the incident;
2. try to check and identify what your injuries are;
3. call the police and file a police report;
4. get the other driver's information, including insurance information;
5. make sure that you see a doctor or seek medical attention eben if you have justa few symptoms or complaints;
6. take pictures of your vehicle, the other driver’s vehicle’s, your injuries, the other person’s injuries, and the scene of the accident;
7. gather any documents proving your inability to work, medical expenses, etc.
It is very important to contact an attorney that is experienced in handling motorcycle accidents. If you are involved in a motorcycle accident, contact a motorcycle accident lawyer as soon as you can in order to make sure that the needed evidence to prove your case is preserved. There are many factors in any case that can affect the amount of damage that you receive to compensate you for your injuries, hiring an attorney like Olga Porven to handle your motorcycle accident can help you obtain justice.